The City of Levelland Building Permit and Inspection Department has provided the following information.
Attention Homeowners with Roof Damage
With the recent hail storm there will be many homeowners having their roofs evaluated for possible damage and replacement. We want to remind homeowners to be cautious and responsible in these efforts. Homeowners are advised to:
• Have the roof evaluated by your insurance company prior to making any commitment regarding roof repair or replacement.
• Follow all instructions provided by your insurance.
• Use a reputable, insured roofing contractor.
• Require your roofing contractor to follow all applicable regulations, including:
o Obtain a Roofing Permit from the City of Levelland Inspections Department.
o Properly dispose of all waste and debris as required by the Texas Health and Safety Code Chapter 365.
o When transporting wastes, all loads must be covered as required by the Texas Transportation Code
275. There is No where in Hockley County that shingles may be taken, they may be taken to
landfills in Littlefield or Lubbock.
o Obtain and pass Final Inspection from the Inspections Department.
o A roofing final inspection will require the Building Official/Inspector to enter the residence to
inspect the mechanical vents and the placing of the carbon monoxide detectors.
Please Note: The 2009 International Building Code requires installation of Carbon Monoxide detectors on all new residential roofing. Make sure the contractor you are using provides this service, if they don’t it will be the homeowners responsibility to have it installed and it is required for the roofing final.
Homeowners may wish to have the roofing contractor present proof of a completed and passed final inspection on their roof before the final payment is issued to the contractor.