The Levelland City Council met Monday Night (4/22) in a regular meeting. A full report from that meeting is below…….
1) Diamond Ethanol has been purchasing treated waste water from the City which it then treats further and uses in the ethanol plant. In the past the company has returned some water to our waste water treatment plant which we then have to treat again–rather than sending all of the return water back to our waste water treatment the ethanol plant is asking to allow them to keep that water and sell for petroleum production activities. Texas Commission on Environmental Quality has been contacted and they are in agreement. City will also be involved in this planning process for the holding area for the water at the ethanol plant which they will sell. It was noted that the ethanol plant only takes 10% of the city’s effluent water.
2) The council took action to approve adding 2 police officers that would be school resource officers 9 months of the year and then would be worked into the regular city patrol officers during the summer. This is for the 2 additional resource officers recently approved by LISD. The estimated annual cost is $152,217, LISD will pay $114,163 which includes 75% of the vehicle cost.
3) Council also approved an agreement with TxDOT to close streets around the square for Early Settlers Day.
4) The council also approved adding a street light on Equalizer Road near the Levelland Oxy Sports Complex. It was noted that the council will probably look at adding more street lights in the area later as development as activity in the area increases.
5) Council also heard an update from the Levelland Economic Development Corporation on activities. The council also approved a $150,000 budget amendment to the Levelland EDC budget to extend Commerce Drive in rail park to help relieve traffic congestion and to add street lights from Hulen Moreland Road to Chi Energy road and for a curb cut and concrete ramp for animal shelter. It was noted that this is a maximum price and will likely be lower. Mayor Waymon Jackson asked why the council had to approve budget amendment. It was noted that council has statutory budgetary over-site but that the money is LEDC funds. It was approved unanimously.
6) Council approved expansion of Tax Increment Financing Zone #1 with little discussion.
The council met in executive session but took no action following the closed meeting.